Jan 24, 2014
There are a number of clear-cut reasons why anyone should incorporate live chat support software into his website, particularly in the case of the owner of an e-commerce website. Today’s online shopper demands faster and more reliable real-time online customer assistance and the technology for this has vastly improved during the past years that it spawned quite a number of reliable live chat software. But does your ecommerce website stand to fully benefit from live chat software? The answer should be yes if you satisfy more than one of these criteria:
- You sell products or services online.
- Your conversion rate is low.
- 10,000 or more monthly unique visitors
- You have enough time and staff for live chat service.
- Your sell new or unfamiliar products that need some explanation.
To give you a clearer picture and help you decide on whether or not you should avail of a live chat service for your e-commerce website, here now are the advantages and disadvantages of using a live chat support application:
• More reliable service – your live chat staff can get to answer difficult questions because they could always ask for help from the senior staff without the customer even noticing it.
• Quick feedback – compared to email and phone support, live chat support allows for faster, real-time communication between the customers and the support agents.
• Attend to more customers simultaneously – with live chat service, a rather limited number of chat agents can attend to the needs of several customers at the same time.
• Communication is usually clearer, without worrying about bad phone connections or unclear accents.
• A visitor can avail of the service from anywhere in the world without the extra cost.
• The chat software usually has great features that allow agents to communicate better and send links to the visitor via the chat interface.
• An agent can proactively start the chat to offer his assistance.
• Flexible chat box interface - whenever offline, agents can switch off chat and turn the chat box into a contact form bar especially when they work alone.
• Easy assessment of chat log files – you can quickly review the quality of the support service provided by your support staff by checking their chat log files.
• Many are still intimidated by it. Not all online users are computer-savvy so they may avoid using live chat support. So it is still good for you to retain phone or email support albeit to a certain degree.
• If you cater mainly to older customers or to people with less computer know-how, then you could be better off with phone or email support.
• Not ideal for mobile platforms. Many mobile gadgets still do not support live chat apps. Also, many people are not that fast typing on mobile phone keypads, so mobile live chat services are a bit of a turn-off for them.
• Prank chats can happen frequently. To get around this, you can either block the offender or require an email address from your pre-chat form to discourage this kind of activity.
• The chat agent should always be alert and able to respond promptly. If he or she fails to do so, the customer may leave your website feeling disappointed or worse, angry.